Again we had a few possible stops in mind for our next two nights. Our plan had been to have shorter days, with one more stop in WA, and then two stops before reaching Kelvin’s farm near Katherine.
The map shows the town of Halls Creek, our first fuel stop. Then a couple of rest areas. We hadn’t planned on stopping at Muluk’s for breakfast, but roadworks earlier in the trip had made it difficult to find the entrance for Spring Creek. We stopped again for fuel at Doon Doon, and considered staying the night there. We had planned to take a look and see if we wanted to stay, or continue on a bit further to one of the free campsites. However, a phone call while at Doon Doon changed our plans.
I had visited the Dr prior to leaving Busselton for some scripts including some medication for eczema, something I’ve had all my life, but in recent years I’ve had a continuous flare up. The Dr decided to take a few tests but I didn’t expect anything other than what I already knew. The Dr suspected something more. She was right. It seems I have a streptococcus, group G infection, and a course of antibiotics are needed. I wouldn’t normally mention health problems here, but in this case I wanted to show how these things pan out when you’re thousands of kilometres away from the prescribing Dr. I was quite surprised how easy it all was.
We decided it would be best to extend the days travel and head into Kununurra, which we did. We found a chemist and enquired if they would accept a faxed script. Yes, they would as long as the original script was also forwarded by mail. I obtained all the necessary details and passed these into to the Drs surgery. Then we headed to the Ivanhoe caravan park and found a site for a couple of nights.
An hour or so after we’d set up the script was ready, so Paul went and picked it up for me. We could have stayed only one night, but decided a extra day to catch up with the blog, and swim in the pool wouldn’t go astray. It also meant a day of rest to give the antibiotics a chance to take effect.
We’ve spent some time in Kununurra before, so we didn’t feel we were missing out by not going site seeing. With a long driving day to come, a day of doing very little seemed like a good idea. The next day’s plan is that we’ll drive all the way to Katherine, hopefully departing Kununurra around 6am.
As we’re almost at the border now the daylight arrives much earlier in the day, so it’ll be light before 6am for us to start driving. Once we cross the border though the times will change by 90 minutes. I don’t plan on changing my watch though until after we’ve arrived. We should arrive by mid afternoon on our watches, but in actual fact it’ll be late afternoon NT time. I’ll text ahead and tell Kelv to get the kettle on….